We were all caught off-guard by COVID-19. Hospital Management Asia spoke to hospitals in Asia to share what they learned and what they realised during this difficult time.
Many healthcare professionals were consumed with the same fear when SARS happened, and they used what they have learned from SARS in order to come up with strategies to control the spread of COVID-19. Underlying an efficient COVID-19 response is proper infection prevention to maintain staff safety and to protect patients.
Hospitals also better understood the impact of working together, whether internally or with other sectors; and with this comes the critical need for national and international communication and ensuring the efficient use of resources as the supply chain had been disrupted.
They learned that quick response is essential, so hospitals became more flexible and adaptable. They learned to adjust and work around the limitations. Technology use was accelerated and optimised; home healthcare, remote monitoring, drive-through pharmacies, and medication delivery ramped up. Compliance to protocol and efficient triage screening have also been observed to produce great results.
- Each member of the team is a hero in his own way.
- Hospitals have to be adaptable because the new norm today may not be the norm tomorrow.
- COVID-19 is a test of resilience as hospitals needed effective and fast decisions.
- The world has changed, and hospitals did, too.
Thanks to everyone who shared their learnings from COVID-19. Specifically, we want to thank the following hospitals that sent their videos in:
- KK Hospital
- The Medical City
- Sunway Healthcare Group
- Asian Hospital and Medical Center
- Royal Hobart Hospital
- Ramsay Sime Darby Health Care
- West China Hospital of Sichuan University
- Hanh Phuc International Hospital
- Nilai Medical Center
- Sonja Kill Memorial Hospital
- Lucena United Doctors Incorporated
- Mandalar Hospital
- Aster DM Healthcare (Qatar)
- Manipal Hospitals Klang
- Aster DM Healthcare (UAE)
- Hoan My Medical Corporation
- Oriental Melaka Straits Melaka Centre
- Bumrungrad International Hospital
- Makati Medical Center
- Subang Jaya Medical Center
- BIMC Siloam
- Manila Doctors Hospital
- Victoria Hospital
- Ramaiah Memorial Hospital
- University of Malaya Medical Centre
- Lucena United Doctors Hospital and Medical Center
- Rajagiri Hospital
- Becamex International Hospital
- Bangkok Hospital Phuket